Welcome to the District Superintendent’s page!
I first came to Lewisburg more than thirty years ago as a freshman at Bucknell. Today, it is my honor and privilege to serve as your superintendent. The opportunity to return to Lewisburg and work with the students, dedicated educators, and staff of the Lewisburg Area School District was one that could not be passed up. The Lewisburg community is a community committed to education and is itself a community of learners.
In a current climate that questions the viability of public education, let me be clear, I not only believe in public education but it is functioning very well in Lewisburg. All education is a means toward individual success, but public education is the best example of a community’s collective contribution to a democratic society and the common good.
As a community we support public education through our taxes not just for our sons and daughters, but also for our neighbors’ sons and daughters, and the sons and daughters of those we may never get to know. We do so knowing that our community’s investment may not see direct returns to our community, but how many of us have grown sons and daughters who are successful contributing members of other communities? We support public education knowing that each and every other community across this country is doing the same thing and should their sons and daughters settle in the Lewisburg Area School District, they are contributing to the success of our community. This is why I believe in public education for it is the mechanism that while fostering the success of individuals also contributes to the common good.
How is our community’s support of its schools through its time, talent, and treasures contributing to our students’ individual success and the common good? The answer to that occurs daily in classrooms across the district the results of which have been recognized both within the state and nationally:
- LASD ranked in the top 5% of 500 districts on State Exams for ninth straight years
- Donald H. Eichhorn MS – PA nomination for National Blue Ribbon Schools – Exemplary High Performance
- LASD ranked in the top 5% of 500 districts in educating economically disadvantaged students
- Lewisburg recognized as a Best Community for Music Education six consecutive years
- LAHS is one of the top 50 High Schools in PA on SAT Scores for eleven consecutive years
- Donald Eichhorn Middle School recognized as a Model School for Positive Behavior Support
- LASD named the #1 District in PA for best value in public education by Nerd Wallet
- Kelly Elementary selected as a Title I School of Distinction two consecutive years
If you are a resident of the Lewisburg Area School District, thank you for your support. If you are relocating to the central Susquehanna Valley, please don’t hesitate to contact me about becoming a proud Green Dragon!
Steven C. Skalka, Ed.D.